Genius FAQ Lyrics
Here's a list of questions for our FAQ, feel free to chime in and answer any questions as you'll get some upvotes, but most importantly, you'll be sharing some of the in-depth knowledge about the site that only a veteran user can have. So highlight a question and do your best to answer it.
• How do I find lines to annotate?
• How do I annotate/Start the Genius Annotation for a song?
• How do I hyperlink text?
• Why can't I annotate this song?
• Why can't I edit this annotation?
• How do I annotate two separate lyrics with the same annotation (edit referents)?
• When will my annotation/edit get accepted?
• How do I clear my unreviewed annotations?
• How do I report an annotation?
• Can I copy annotations from other websites?
• How to link web pages that have disambiguations?
• Should I link to Wikipedia?
• How do I format the name of a tour?
• How do I format albums and songs?
• How can I add a song's (single's) art?
• How to order & re-order metadata in Song Facts, Album Info, etc?
• How do I get artwork from SoundCloud/iTunes/Spotify/Audiomack?
• What if I want to add a Bandcamp or other link because SoundCloud and YouTube links aren't available?
• How can I edit/move songs to the right artist, when they are wrongly attributed?
• How can I get a black background on song pages?
• How can I get titles to start with a lowercase?
• What does it mean if there's an asterisk in the song title?
• Who do I put in as the Artist for a Musical?
• Why can't I edit lyrics?
• Why can't I Edit Metadata?
• Why can't I feature a video?
• Why do page views sometimes seem off?
• How do I add an album?
• How do I add album art to an album?
• How do I add an album release date?
• How do I add an album if it has been confirmed but without a name/title?
• How do I add/edit/clear track numbers for an album?
• How do I add/order track numbers for a multi-disc album?
• How do I edit an album title?
• How do I add/edit the header/background image for an album?
• How do I create a various artists/compilation album?
• How do I create shells on a various artists/compilation album?
• How do I move an album when they've been attributed to a wrong artist?
• How do I remove a song from an album?
• What are the optimal dimensions for album art/album cover photos?
• Why can't I add album facts?
• What does it mean if there's an asterisk in the album title?
• How should I name an album if it's an EP?
• How do I add an artist page?
• How do I add a "multiple artist" artist page?
• What do I do if an artist name is already taken?
• How do I add an artist whose name is in foreign alphabet?
• How do I get the artist name to begin with a lowercase letter?
• Who can add an Avatar, Cover Art and Social Media to Artist Pages?
• How do I become a Verified Artist?
• How do I change my artist name?
• Can I add my lyrics to Genius?
• How do I report abuse in the forums?
• How do I format my forum posts with stuff like headers?
• How do I reach the most recent posts in a discussion without scrolling all the way down?
• How does the penalty box work?
• Why can't I post in the forums?
Notifications, messages, and feeds
• How do I (un)link my Facebook/Twitter/Google accounts to my Genius account?
• How do I share Genius pages/annotations on social media?
• How do I add a profile picture?
• How do I pin annotations to my profile?
• How do I customize the leaderboard on my profile?
• How do I get more followers?
• What if I forgot my password?
• Why can't I change my username?
• How do I view my Genius "history"?
Can you think of any questions that should be on this list but aren't? Add them! Also, if you've got any questions after reading this guide, then leave a suggestion on the annotation(s) or post in the Help Forum for assistance. Cheers!
Frequently Asked Questions by contributors on Genius.
If someone asks a common question, link them here. They will be able to find out what they wanted and much more!
Find answers to frequently asked questions about the song and explore its deeper meaning
Currently, it isn’t possible to link a Genius lyrics page to a song on Spotify. You can only add a YouTube and a SoundCloud link to the Genius songpage’s metadata. However, if you want to make sure your fans find out about your song being on Spotify, you can add a link to the song on Spotify to the song’s bio.
Alternatively, you could also create a question on each song, asking if the song is available on Spotify. Then answer the question yourself with something like
"Yes, check the song out on Spotify here: <link>".
For the most part, you’ll have to look it up yourself if you want to see if the lyrics are from the official artist website or album booklet. Some artists, however, have verified accounts where they verify that the lyrics are correct, and even provide annotations.
Read more about it on this annotation!
Contact an Editor or a Moderator to change it, or post a request with the songpage link on the Help Forum