A cleanup page is used for logging/tracking progress during an artist cleanup.
What's Involved In An Artist Cleanup?
Cleaning an artist profile can include:
- Transcribing any missing songs.
- Fixing any incorrect/missing lyrics from existing songs.
- Annotating their lyrics/editing existing annotations up to Genius standards.
- Adding metadata/Q&A.
To create a cleanup page, click the Add a Song link in the banner (or visit https://genius.com/new) and fill in the following metadata:
- By: Add your artist name—this will usually be your username.
- Title: Add the name of your cleanup page, for example: “Drake Cleanup Page.” NOTE: This will become the URL for your page.
- Primary Tag: Select “Non-Music.”
- Lyrics: You can either enter your content now or select the Lyrics not released yet checkbox to add later.
When you have filled in all the required metadata, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page—this will automatically redirect you to the new page. Additionally, feel free to add an image of the artist you are cleaning up to the page (Song Art URL field).
Once your cleanup page is created, edit the page’s lyrics to include the content you want to clean up, for example, album names and tracklists. When your content is added, you can annotate the lyrics to log your progress. Some examples of cleanup pages on Genius include Chloe Conlon’s Chris Brown Cleanup, glitzy’s Shi Shi Cleanup, and noufi’s Charles Aznavour Cleanup.
Not all cleanup pages need to be the same; you can create a cleanup page tailored to your needs. For example, tackling an artist’s complete discography, extensively cleaning up an artist’s albums/mixtapes, focusing on adding metadata/Q&A, focusing on adding translations/romanizations, etc. You can also work collaboratively on a cleanup with other members of the community! For example, creating a logging page for the monthly Clean Up Championship.
If you want to work on a cleanup with other Genius contributors, you can attribute the cleanup page to the primary genre of the artist. For example, Country Cleanup for a country artist, Pop Cleanup for a pop artist, etc. When the cleanup page is created, ensure to add the users who will be participating in the cleanup as featured artists. This will allow participants to add their own verified annotations to the cleanup page.
- Do NOT add the artist you are cleaning up to the cleanup page’s metadata. This will result in earning artist IQ and is considered IQ gaming, which is against our Community Guidelines and Moderation Policy.
- Request community verification. When you have a cleanup page created, you can message a moderator onsite to request community verification. This will merge your artist profile with your user profile and give you more control over your cleanup page, i.e., verifying lyrics. In addition, the cleanup page will show up on your profile under “Show All Songs [username] Appears On.” You can find a list of Genius moderators here.
- For Eds+: To save time copying over a tracklist from an album, go to the album page and click "Copy Tracklist Markup" to copy all the tracks with hyperlinks included.
- Verify the lyrics to your cleanup page. This will prevent other users from tampering with your work. To verify the lyrics, select “Verify lyrics” in the Admin menu:
- To spice up your cleanup page, you might consider adding some colorful emojis to represent specific steps in the cleanup process. For example, you could add “📝” to represent lyric edits and then annotate the emoji to detail specifics. Another commonly used emoji is “🔒” which is used to indicate that the whole song or album has been “cleaned up.” If you choose to use the lock emoji, you might consider annotating the lock to include relevant information about the edits made. Don’t feel pressured to use one of these examples, be creative!
- If you use the formatting of somebody else’s cleanup page, give them credit! While not considered plagiarism, it is bad etiquette not to give them their fair credit.
NOTE: You must be community-verified on Genius to approve lyrics.
This page contains guidelines on how to create a cleanup page. In addition to providing basic instructions, it also provides tips and tricks users should utilize in order to stay organized.
Table of Contents:
- What is a Cleanup Page?
- How to Create a Cleanup Page
- Types of Cleanup Pages
- Tips and Tricks
Find answers to frequently asked questions about the song and explore its deeper meaning